Can I Eat Low Sodium at Dunkin Donuts
Dunkin Donuts is finally starting to open locations here in Minnesota. It has been a long time coming. I’m not sure exactly why, but I personally have been waiting for them coming, and I am eager that they do. There is a great deal of items that are low sodium at Dunkin Donuts. Beyond the simple fact that they have great donuts and coffee, they offer hot and cold breakfast and lunch items. I know, it is brand new news to you; “They serve things besides coffee and donuts?” it took me a while to get over that as well! So here is the answer to can I eat low sodium at Dunkin Donuts.
Dunkin Donuts, much like Starbucks (I reported on what low sodium items they have), and other chains typically known for beverages, have entered into the quick service food market. They are offering many breakfast and lunch items such as wraps, sandwiches, eggs, and more.
Remember that we always base a “meal” on an entree + side + beverage. It should be able to be ordered off of the main menu, and not just the “Kid’s” menu. Finally it must meet or be very close to meeting 1/3 rd of your daily allotted milligrams of sodium (set by your medical doctor or physician). We also base this on the USDA recommended sodium intake for a “healthy” person of 2300 mg a day. The AHA and Mayo Clinic recommend that you maintain 1500 or less mg per day of sodium intake. The information used for this guide comes from the Nutrition Information found on Dunkin Donuts website, and will be monitored and updated when their site is.
Let’s see what we can eat:
Can I Eat Low Sodium at Dunkin Donuts?
Ok, let’s get the important items out of the way first.
All of their Donuts (which are too many to list out) fall between 280 – 450 mg of sodium per each donut. As a rule, Cream filled, Cake Donuts, and Coffee rolls tend to run higher in sodium (300-450 mg).
Outstanding low sodium award goes for the French Cruller is 140 mg an the Chocolate dipped French Cruller is only 160 mg.
Sadly, my old go to of the Apple Fritter is 380 mg.
Munchkins (Mini Donuts):
These mini version of the Donuts will run you 50-100 mg per Munchkin.
The Apple and Strawberry Cheese Danishes are 310 mg each, and the plain Cheese Danish is 320 mg.
All flavors of muffins run from 350 mg to 680 mg. Other baked good items would make a better low sodium choice.
Breakfast & Lunch:
Choose these items to stay low sodium at Dunkin Donuts:
Original Kolache – 250 mg
Original Oatmeal with Dried Fruit Topping – 140 mg
Brown Sugar Flavored Oatmeal with Dried Fruit Topping – 470 mg
Hash Browns – 480 mg
The bagels start at 450 mg and can go as high as 3380 mg (for the salt bagel, obviously) These are just for the plain bagels, it does not include any kind of spread or shmear.
The Multi-grain Bagel is the best choice at 450 mg.
All of the Dunkin Donuts flavors of Cream Cheese range from 200-250 mg per serving.
Almost all of these options are over 1000 mg.
The best option would be the Snack n Go Chicken Wrap with Breaded Chicken at 720 mg.
The Angus Steak and Egg Wake Up Wrap – 570 mg.
Bacon, Egg & Cheese on English Muffin – 630 mg.
Egg White Veggie Flatbread – 610 mg.
Egg & Cheese on English Muffin – 470 mg.
Wake up Wraps:
The Egg and Cheese Wrap is 420 mg
The Egg White Veggie Wrap is 380 mg
The Bacon, Egg, & Cheese Wrap is 520 mg
The Turkey Sausage Wake Up Wrap is 570 mg
Here are the guidelines around the Coffee Drinks to stay low sodium at Dunkin Donuts:
Besides that fact that I personally think the Dunkin Donuts brand coffee tastes great, here are some general tips on staying low sodium with coffee:
- Coffee is typically very low in sodium
- Milk & Cream based additions to coffee are higher in sodium. Try to find a lower sodium option such as skim milk.
- Soy, Almond, & Coconut Milk all vary wildly in their sodium content based on brand. Check labels when possible.
- Flavored Syrups are typically low sodium.
- Pre-packaged (bottled) coffee drinks have sodium added as a preservative.
- Dunkin Donuts Coffee drinks range from 0 mg to 350 mg based on your ingredient add-ons.
The same points above for coffee apply here as well, plus the following:
- Dunkin Donuts Espresso Drinks range from 5 mg to 300 mg based on your ingredient add-ons.
Iced & Hot Coffee Coolatta:
- These drinks include dairy and candy bar ingredients to make these drinks, so they run higher in sodium that simple coffee and espresso drinks.
- These drinks run from 35 mg for a small to 500 mg for a large fully loaded drink.
- Choose ingredients as above, aiming for lower sodium options.
- All flavors and sizes of Hot Teas will run 50 mg or less of sodium
- All flavors of Iced Teas & Lemonade will run less than 35 mg of sodium
So there is the list of what to eat to stay low sodium at Dunkin Donuts. What are your favorite items to grab at Dunkin Donuts?