Can I Eat Low Sodium at Taco Bell
Ok, Ok, so I was secretly hoping that the whole menu would magically be low sodium. This place was the go to fast food stop for me and my buddies, and typically it was the first place we’d stop after a night at the bars. Now that I am older, and heart healthier, I know I need to be better. Who am I kidding, I still wish I could make a run for the border every once in a while. Don’t we all? But can I eat low sodium at Taco Bell?
Seriously though, I did take up the task this week of hacking the menu at Taco Bell. Taco Bell’s nutrition information is listed here. I hoped upon hope that all my old favorites were low sodium. Alas, that isn’t the case. they do however carry more low sodium choices than I would have thought. Especially from their Breakfast menu.
Remember that our guidelines are based on being able to put together a meal (not just one item with zero sides) and a beverage that comes in under 750 mg. Which is considered a third of the USDA recommendations of sodium for a day. I know many of us heart, liver, and Meniere’s patients need much less. It is usually so frustrating to go out an not being able to easily find choices to order. Hopefully these posts help you out when you are on the run or forced to dine out. At the end of the day it is important that our low sodium lifestyle can fit into our lives as seamlessly as possible.
Here’s the results of Can I East Low Sodium at Taco Bell?
- The AM Grilled Taco with Egg & Cheese is 330 mg
- The AM Grilled Taco with Sausage is 460 mg
- The Cinnabon Delights 2 pack is 80 mg, 4 pack is 160 mg, & 12 pack is 480 mg
- Hash Browns are 270 mg
- The Mini Skillet Bowl is only 430 mg (I like this one)
$1 Cravings Menu:
- Beefy Mini Quesadilla is 560 mg
- Shredded Chicken Mini Quesadilla is 540 mg
- Cheese Roll Up is 430 mg
- The Caramel Apple Empanada is 310 mg
- Spicy Potato Soft Taco is 480 mg
- Spicy Tostada is 450 mg
- Triple Decker Nachos are 600 mg
- Beef Soft Taco 490 mg
- Beef Crunchy Taco 310 mg
- Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes 520 mg
- Chicken Soft Taco 470 mg
- Chicken Crunchy Taco 430 mg
- Steak Soft Taco 440 mg
- Steak Crunchy Taco 300 mg
- Chicken Gordita Supreme 530 mg
- Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Taco Supreme 400 mg
- Fiery Doritos Locos Taco Supreme 400 mg
- Nacho Cheese Doritos Locos Taco Supreme 390 mg
- Beef Gordita Supreme 580 mg
- Spicy Potato Soft Taco 480 mg
- Crunch Spicy Potato Taco 300 mg
Sides: & Sauces:
- Black Beans 200 mg
- Black Beans & Rice is 390 mg
- Chips & Guacamole is 310 mg
- Chips & Nacho Cheese Sauce is 320 mg
- Nacho Cheese Doritos® Chips is 210 mg
- Chips & Pico de Gallo is 210 mg
- Chips & Salsa is 320 mg
- Seasoned Rice is 210 mg
- Fire Sauce 60 mg
- Hot Sauce 45 mg
- Mild Sauce 35 mg
- Salsa Verde Sauce 70 mg
- Diablo Sauce 30 mg
A good rule of thumb is to skip the sour cream. Order the Crunchy (corn shells) as opposed to the Soft (flour shells). They is pre-marinade the Chicken, so the steak or vegetable options are the best choices.
So, armed with this info, you can make a better choice when you make a run for the border!